Before kids, we would go out to eat somewhat regularly.
When you live in a small town, there are only so many places to go.
When we lived in Lisbon, we tended to frequent The Island a lot for supper. It’s no longer there, but was your typical small town bar and grill…Not necessarily known for its cleanliness, but it had great food and cold beer.
I fell in love with their Chicken Bacon Cheddar sandwich. It became the only thing I would order when we went there.
And then they closed. 🙁
Since I can’t get my Island fix anymore, I make my own version of the Chicken Bacon Cheddar. Even though I don’t live in Lisbon anymore, whenever I make this, I think of being in my former town, just my husband and me, sitting across from each other at the counter-height table.
Dining out now is just a tad different with two kids. 🙂
Anyway, here’s my ode to The Island. May you rest in peace….
Recreating the Chicken Bacon Cheddar
- Toast your buns. Butter them and place them butter-side down on a frying pan.
- Slice some onions and saute them.
- Cook up some bacon slices.
- Deep fry some breaded chicken tenderloins. Don’t try baking them in order to be healthier. This is bar food. Deep frying is absolutely necessary.
- Slice some real cheddar cheese (no processed singles please!), place on your chicken, and place in a warm oven to melt.
- Assemble your beautiful work of art.
- Toasted bun, chicken with melted cheddar, bacon, sauteed onions, bun.
- Dip in BBQ sauce.
The picture honestly doesn’t make it look like it’s that good. But it is.