Just looking at this dish tells you that it probably isn’t the healthiest, but it is comfort food!
The original version actually comes from the Farm and Ranch Guide website, so you just know that this is a North Dakota dish.
I changed it up a bit to meet my family’s tastes (and to match what we had in the cupboard!). 🙂 It’s yum.
- 2-3 large potatoes, sliced (enough to cover the bottom of a 2.5 qt. casserole dish)
- 1 lb. hamburger, browned with 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cream
- 1 can fiesta cheese soup (or cheddar cheese soup)
- 1 14.5 oz. can tomatoes
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Pepperoni slices
And here’s what I did:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of your casserole dish with approximately 2 layers of sliced potatoes.
- Mix cream and cheese soup together. Pour over the potatoes.
- Spread hamburger over the top of the potato/cream mixture.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the can of tomatoes (juice included), jalapeno, Italian seasoning, salt, sugar, and pepper. Pour over the hamburger.
- Top with pepperoni slices.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If you want, remove the foil the last 20-30 minutes to give the pepperoni a little more color.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before eating, so it can “set.”
Dish up and enjoy!