Something magical happens when you combine crushed graham crackers with a stick of butter. Add in some powdered sugar and peanut butter, top it with chocolate, and you have an amazingly easy and delicious dessert.
Yes, peanut butter bars are a peanut butter lovers dream.
But you probably don’t want to eat them all the time. (Well, you might want to, but it’s probably not a good idea.) 😉
Because I do have a love for peanut butter bars, but I don’t like the idea of overdoing it on processed sugar and flours, I decided to come up with my own recipe.
I like to experiment with healthy, unrefined baking ingredients, so I used some of my favorites in this recipe: almond flour, coconut oil, raw honey, and of course, peanut butter.
Here’s what you will need
For the bottom layer:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (the kind that only has peanuts and maybe salt as an ingredient; try to steer clear of hydrogenated oils when you can)
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- pinch of salt
For the topping*:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa (this will give it a rich, dark chocolate taste; if you don’t like it as dark, just add less)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
*I initially had double the amount of ingredients for the topping. It was good, but since the chocolate is very dark, it seemed to overpower the bars. This ratio of chocolate to bottom layer seems a little better.
Here’s what to do:
- Combine all ingredients for the bottom layer and mix well.
- Press into a square baking pan.
- Refrigerate while you make the topping.
- Melt coconut oil. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until well-combined.
- Spread over the top of the bottom layer.
- Refrigerate until set.
I would suggest keeping these in the fridge because of coconut oil’s low melting point. It melts at 76 degrees, so if your house is warm, you will have pretty goopy bars.
Now let’s be honest. These will never be as good as the real deal, (The magic of graham crackers and butter is just unbeatable.), but they are a good way to still have your dessert and feel good about what you are putting into your body. 🙂
And I think they taste great!
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see Disclosure Policy.