I will be honest. The only reason why I tried this recipe is because I had a box of white cake mix that I wanted to use up. 🙂
I had clipped this recipe from a magazine a while back because I thought it sounded interesting. It is one of Trisha Yearwood’s recipes. In fact, it’s her Grandma Lizzie’s recipe. I like Trisha’s recipes because “everyday people” can make them. There are usually no fancy ingredients required. She uses ingredients that I can find in just about any grocery store.
Simplicity. It’s a beautiful thing.
I did modify her recipe a little. Instead of using frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, I just used regular strawberries sprinkled with some sugar. I also added cream cheese to the frosting because cream cheese frosting is just so stinkin’ good. 😉
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 3-oz. box strawberry gelatin
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2-1 cup strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle sugar over strawberries. Let sit for a few minutes so the juices can have a chance to work out a bit. Then mash with a fork until you have a syrupy mixture.
- Beat together cake mix, gelatin, oil, strawberries, and water until combined. Add eggs and beat well.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 full. The original recipe says to fill 24 liners, but I had extra batter, so I would say up to 28 would be more accurate. I use a batter dispenser because it’s so much easier and there’s less mess.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or just omit and use 1/2 cup butter)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat cream cheese, butter, coconut oil, and vanilla until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Spread over cupcakes.
- And that’s it. You can garnish with strawberries, but only do it right before serving if you want them to stay pretty looking.
I’m glad I tried this recipe just for the sake of trying it. The kids really like the cupcakes. I don’t make cupcakes a lot, hardly ever unless it’s for a birthday, so I don’t know if I would make this again unless I needed a treat for a “pink” birthday party or occasion. Actually, this would be a cute idea for Valentine’s Day. 🙂