This cream cheese topped chocolate cake.
This is the cake of my youth.
I don’t make a lot of cake, but I had to whip this one out recently to share at church.
I’ve made it for my husband. I’ve even made it for my students back in the day when it was okay to bring a sweet treat to class. (Which wasn’t THAT long ago…) 😉
This was one of my favorite things that my mom would make (among many!) when I was growing up. I’m pretty sure I requested it for my birthday on more than one occasion.
Chocolate and cream cheese. Is there any better combination?
I guess I probably shouldn’t even call this a cake recipe because it’s more of a frosting recipe. I use boxed chocolate cake. Any boxed chocolate cake will do. And that, in turn, makes this a super easy recipe to whip up.
- 1 boxed cake mix, prepared in 9×13 pan and cooled
- 1 brick cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Here’s what to do:
- Beat cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla and beat until it is nice and thick.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Boom. You are done. Time to eat!
Hope you are having a fantastic day!