In reality, this is just a patty melt without the onions. Grilled cheese with a burger shoved inside. It’s so simple that a recipe isn’t really necessary. But if you haven’t tried making these in place of regular burgers, you are missing out. The majority of the time that my family has burgers, this is how we make them. This is because I hardly ever have buns on hand. And when I do buy buns, we never use up the entire package anyway.
Here’s what to do:
- Grill or fry hamburgers like you normally do
- Butter the outsides of bread (two slices for each burger)
- Assemble your sandwich surrounding your burger with cheese on both sides (we use Kraft singles on one side for creaminess and smoked chipotle or cheddar on the other side)
- Cook each side on medium-high heat until browned to your liking (if you fried your burgers, use the same pan for extra flavor, just wipe out the excess grease first)
- Cut in half and dip in the condiment of your choice
Simple. But, oh so good!!