July 19 is National Ice Cream Day. So why not celebrate with some homemade ice cream!
No ice cream machine? Me neither.
But I still enjoy making homemade ice cream, and I do it at least a couple times every summer.
When I first discovered that I could make homemade ice cream without a machine, I was half skeptical, half hopeful. I tried the recipe that I had ripped out of a magazine, and it worked! It was soft, creamy, and delicious.
Here’s what to do:
- Whip 2 cups of heavy cream with a mixer until it stiffens up.
- Fold in 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour the mixture into a container. The original recipe used a loaf pan, but I like a bar pan a little better. It freezes faster and if you add ingredients like cookie dough, it is more spread out instead of it all just sinking to the bottom.
- From this point you can freeze it as is, or customize it to your liking. Our favorite is cookie dough ice cream, and that’s what we’re doing today.
- I had already made and froze cookie dough balls.
- Evenly distribute cookie dough over the ice cream batter. This is a great job for little helpers.
- Place it in the freezer for at least four hours.
Another favorite of ours is strawberry ice cream. Just make this strawberry sauce and swirl it in before freezing. You could also add vanilla or other fruits. Be creative and make it your own. 🙂